When running tcpdump in ESX I only see broadcast traffic
When running a tcpdump within ESX you may see only broadcast traffic this is due to your vSwitch not being in promiscuous mode. To resolve this do the following :
- Within the vShpere Client go to Configuration / Networking.
- Choose the virtual switch that your would like to capture the traffic on.
- On the virtual switch click Properties.
- Under the Ports Tab choose your vSwitch and select Edit.
- Within the Security Tab set Promiscuous mode to Accept.