If you have forgotten or lost your Windows Admin password have no fear, just follow the steps below.
1. Log into a limited account and in command prompt run the following. This will copy CMD.exe in place of the login screen, so when XP reboots it will present you with a command prompt window with full access admin.
copy logon.scr tempfolder\logon.scr
copy cmd.exe tempfolder\cmd.exe
rename cmd.exe logon.scr
2. Once you have rebooted the machine, you will prompted with the command prompt window and logged in. Use the following command to reset your admin in here (CMD after reboot) you can change your forgotten/lost password,
net user [admin username] password
3. Then copy the 2 files from tempfolder back into the system32 directory.
copy \windows\system32\tempfolder\* \windows\system32
- How to Configure a BIND Server on Ubuntu - March 15, 2018
- What is a BGP Confederation? - March 6, 2018
- Cisco – What is BGP ORF (Outbound Route Filtering)? - March 5, 2018
Want to become a Windows expert?
Here is our hand-picked selection of the best courses you can find online:
Windows Server 2019 Administration course
Windows 10 Troubleshooting course
and our recommended certification practice exams:
AlphaPrep Practice Tests - Free Trial