Within this short tutorial we will show you the steps required to create a csv file that includes multi-line cells within Python.
In order to create a mutliline cell within Excel (2010/2013) the following is required:
- newlines are represented with a carriage return/newline,
- the string should be wrapped in quotes.
One of the great things with the Python csv module is it takes care of the quotes for you. Below provides an example,
multiline_string = "this\nis\nsome\ntext" # assign string
multiline_string = multiline_string.replace('\n','\r\n') # convert newlines to newlines+carriage return
with open('xyz.csv', 'wb') as outfile:
w = csv.writer(outfile) # assign csv writer method
w.writerow(['sometext',multiline_string]) # append/write row to file
- How to Configure a BIND Server on Ubuntu - March 15, 2018
- What is a BGP Confederation? - March 6, 2018
- Cisco – What is BGP ORF (Outbound Route Filtering)? - March 5, 2018
Want to become a programming expert?
Here is our hand-picked selection of the best courses you can find online:
Python Zero to Hero course
Python Pro Bootcamp
Bash Scripting and Shell Programming course
Automate with Shell Scripting course
The Complete Web Development Bootcamp course
and our recommended certification practice exams:
AlphaPrep Practice Tests - Free Trial