When trying to power on a machine you will recieve the error message,
The attempted operation cannot be permited in the current state (Powered Off)
This issue is caused by your Virtual Machine still have a reference to something in its configuration file which is no longer available. This could be a removed ISO that is still mounted against its CD-ROM, a removed named serial pipe etc etc.
In order to resolve this issue you will need SSH access to your ESX box.
Below are the required steps involved,
- SSH to your device
- Find you configuration file for your Virtual Machine in question via the command find / -name *”vmx”
- edit this file using the vi command. #vi [path].vmx
- Within here you should find reference to a peripheral for your virtual machine that is causing the issue. You may have a reference to a ISO that is no longer in your datastore. Or a named piped that you have removed. For this hashed out the required line. Then save the file.
- Now try to start your Virtual Machine.
- How to Configure a BIND Server on Ubuntu - March 15, 2018
- What is a BGP Confederation? - March 6, 2018
- Cisco – What is BGP ORF (Outbound Route Filtering)? - March 5, 2018
Want to become a VMware expert?
Here is our hand-picked selection of the best courses you can find online:
Complete VMware Administration course
VMware vSphere 7 – Install, Configure, Manage
and our recommended certification practice exams:
AlphaPrep Practice Tests - Free Trial