When running a tcpdump within ESX you may see only broadcast traffic this is due to your vSwitch not being in promiscuous mode. To resolve this do the following :
- Within the vShpere Client go to Configuration / Networking.
- Choose the virtual switch that your would like to capture the traffic on.
- On the virtual switch click Properties.
- Under the Ports Tab choose your vSwitch and select Edit.
- Within the Security Tab set Promiscuous mode to Accept.
- How to Configure a BIND Server on Ubuntu - March 15, 2018
- What is a BGP Confederation? - March 6, 2018
- Cisco – What is BGP ORF (Outbound Route Filtering)? - March 5, 2018
Want to become a VMware expert?
Here is our hand-picked selection of the best courses you can find online:
Complete VMware Administration course
VMware vSphere 7 – Install, Configure, Manage
and our recommended certification practice exams:
AlphaPrep Practice Tests - Free Trial